In Episode 295, AJ shares some big (really big) news, then he and Trev offer some thoughts on securing representation—including two ‘tricks’ you can try in your next self-taped audition. Then Trev sits down for Part 2 of his conversation with actors and filmmakers Britt Harris and Molly Elizabeth Parker to dive deeper into the nuances and processes behind their international filmmaking project, Jump The Fence.
There’s a rule that Navy SEALs abide by when they’re training—The 40% Rule.
The basic gist is this: when your mind tells you you’re done, at your limit, that there’s no more possibility ahead… in truth, you’re only about 40% of the way there.
It’s worth mentioning in the context of this interview series, we think. How many actors and other artists have stopped, given up, or settled, at only the 40% mark? If you’re a Navy SEAL, this rule probably shows up in physical endeavors more than anything, when the mind does whatever it can be preserve the body’s resources and status quo. If you’re an artist, though, this rule probably shows up in possibility thinking.
7 films, with 7 different directors, in 7 different countries, in 7 months?! An ambitious endeavor, to be sure—but perhaps only 40% of what’s actually, truly possible. Maybe more, maybe less. How would we know?
By going for it. By throwing caution to the wind, by training our awareness, mastering our inner Critic, and putting one foot, one script, one itinerary in front of the other. By being ready to renegotiate—the unexpected will happen—but always, onward.
We’ll be talking with Britt and Molly again on the other side of Jump The Fence, but in Part 2 of our conversation here in October of 2017, we get a glimpse of the sacred “before.” In this episode, Britt and Molly share about:
- the uncertain the the process and nature of filmmaking (both narrative and documentary)
- the currency of passion
- the growth that’s available to us when we commit to working outside our comfort zones
- the joys and pitfalls of traveling while making art
- and more…
Go beyond ambition,
—The IAP Team
Also Mentioned in Episode 295:
- AJ on Instagram – @DigitalActor
Connect with Britt and Molly:
Picks Of The Week for Episode 295:
- The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham (Trev) – balancing your health, your weight, and your life, one luscious bite at a time
- SCORE: A Film Music Documentary (AJ) – a privileged look inside the musical challenges and creative secrecy of the world’s most widely known music genre: the film score
Support for this episode of Inside Acting comes from:
- VO2GoGo – www.vo2gogo.com/start
- Rehearsal Pro – www.rehearsal.pro/IAP
- You! – insideacting.net/membership