In Episode 298, AJ shares a few lessons learned from this third (!!!) Hamilton meeting, and he and Trev respond to a listener question about diet and body image. Then Trev sits down for the first of a two-part conversation with Katie Von Till—an actress, producer, and the fourth-ever woman in history to lend her voice to the iconic Disney character, Snow White.
There’s a lot that goes into building (and maintaining) a successful career in the entertainment industry: luck, preparation, intuition, talent, work ethic, ongoing training, calculated risk-taking…
And as we’ve posited more than a few times over the years, for best results, we believe actors should be multi-skilled multi-hyphenates—that is, they should have some producing, writing, directing, editing chops. They don’t have to be experts, but they’ll be better positioned for longevity if they know how and practice a bit of what happens behind the curtain.
When it comes the multi-hyphenate approach, you’d be hard-pressed to find an actor that walks the walk more than this week’s guest, Katie Von Till.
But Katie a slightly different way of relating to this idea. Instead of merely cultivating several different practices, she diversifies.
It’s a different way of thinking about taking the multi-hyphenate approach one step further—and a great way to keep the business aspect of your artistic career top of mind.
After all, professionals are those who make money doing what they do, and a diversified income is the bedrock of a working artist’s lifestyle.
Ready to diversify? Get ready, because this interview series with Katie is truly one for the books.
In Part 1, Katie shares:
- Stories from her early years doing regional theatre and various thrival jobs in NYC
- What she’d do differently if she could start her career all over again
- Exactly how and why she diversifies her income and career opportunities
- How she uses spreadsheets to meticulously track her career and income—and how it’s helped her claim tens of thousands of dollars in “lost” payments
- Her number one life hack for surviving and thriving as an artist
- And a bunch more…
Bookmark this one—you’re gonna love it.
Think inside, act outside,
—The IAP Team
Also Mentioned in Episode 298:
- Inside the Membership: Airtable—a free online tool to track everything
- Chip’s Money Tips
- Save the Date! Episode 300 Party – Monday, 12/11/17
Connect with Katie:
- Twitter – @katievontill
- Instagram – @katievontill
- Meet The Woman Who Speaks for Snow White (Refinery29)
Picks Of The Week for Episode 298:
- World Made By Hand by James Howard Kuntsler (Trev) – the first in a series of speculative post-apocalyptic novels
- 10% Happier (AJ) – meditation for fidgety skeptics
Support for this episode of Inside Acting comes from:
- VO2GoGo – www.vo2gogo.com/start
- Rehearsal Pro – www.rehearsal.pro/IAP
- BlueHost – www.insideacting.net/blue
- You! – insideacting.net/membership